Electric Load Center (Before/After)

I am not sure who did the original wiring of my dock or why I have taken so long to get in shape but I finally got around to it yesterday and finished early this morning. It had more questionable challenges than I could take. Well finally I guess it took one the paired 20 amp circuit breakers to get to the point that it had gotten so weak it would trip for normal load. It was more difficult to reset than it should have been so I was suspect of its actual operating ability when required. I finally had had enough. Every wire in the center has its own everything so it is all together in line with what I would expect. I have some clean up stapling of the wires but I will wait until some cooler weather happens.



Another first

Went out with Chris and Adam Spanish Mackerel fishing today for an early morning try. It is miserablly hot this week with heat advisories all week long. We set out this morning looking for Spanish, they have not been here in any numbers so far for the year. Chris went through a very normal learning period but finally his first Spanish. It was a very nice 20″. Spanish Macks are notorius for finding a way to get off the line.

They have been far slower than normal this year and they do not seem to be with big bait balls so not sure where the schools of them are located.

We were running Clarks and Drones with a variety of colors. I would not give the edge to any specific color in abundance but green probably won out overall. The water was hot about 83 degrees. We caught a bunch of blues (which we should have taken a picture of as well) because I think that was his first blue as well.

Chris also used my kayak and caught a very nice red “puppy” drum. I was not near the event so ask him yourself when you see him next. Puppy’s have a distinctive spot on their tale and though it is not super unusual that they have more than one, having 4 is a bit unusual.

In Whays Creek

Great time with a great bunch of guys is really the very best of fishing.

Well that wasn’t suppose to happen

Invited my friend Charlie. He was looking to bag his first legal size cobia. Adam wanted to go as well so we got together around 8:00 at my dock. Charlie had driven up for the day and needed to get back for a job responsibility so we only had a few hours to fish. And to make matters worse as soon as he stepped on the boat he hit his glasses on the antenna and they were in the water. Adam got there and we head out. The Walmart parking lot was full but we pushed ourselveles in as best we could and dropped everything in. The weather started out great but everything was running backwards. Later the wind was against us and the tide made the boat turn sideways in the water so it was a hard 4 hours of fishing. Needless to say we didn’t catch a thing and I felt bad for the group but somedays are just not destined to catch.

Running backwards: This is what I mean, the boat under great conditions has its bow into the any wave and the lines run out directly behind the boat. So all 4 rods can easily be kept apart, you can sit back and watch the lines. Backwards is just that the boat it turn one way generally the waves are hitting the transom or the sides and the lines are running towards the chum bag and anchor. I really don’t think you catch very many in the backwards position.

Parking lot: When there are so many boats out in close proximity the fish can easily get confused. With so much chum in the water I think they just feed where they are at and don’t need to bite a bait. Again, I don’t think you catch many in these conditions.

Well we got back just after noon and Charlie went to work. Hoping for much better next year or later this year when he and Adam can be here more and go out on a better day. Yes, it is true, you cannot catch yesterday’s fish.

Add Mitch to the fray

Had the same group of Basil, Scott, and added Mitch to the boat. It was so hot and not very windy so we decided to go Spanish instead of Cobia just so we could get the boat moving. Went straight to the mouth of the GW and started our troll. My goodness what a bunch in the boat.

Started catching right away and they were hitting a lot of various colors as well as on #1 and #2 planners. I would say the most were on hot pink and a split between #1 and #2s.

First(s) for Basil (the hat trick)

Went out with my friend Basil and Scott for cobia fishing on Jun 25th. We set out about noon after I took vacation for the rest of the day. We setup out near our favorite spot on Dameron Marsh. Since it was Thursday there were only about 5 other boats within eyesight.

Cobia: We setup with the normal spread but added a spot on one of the rods. Spot even though Scott has never caught a cobia on it is a great bait. Did I tell you Scott doesn’t like change, well its official I have two friends that do not like to try any different kind of bait (I’ll let the other remain annonomus for now). Seemed like things were going to be a slow day but as normal cobia have a way of turning on the adrenaline in an instant. With one on Basil was up and after only about 5 min we had him in the boat. I put my GoPro on and if I can get it connected I will add the video. For now you will have just view the pics. This was Basil’s first cobia.

Spanish: The 3 of us stayed on our spot for a while longer but after the tide changed the “gear” and the boat was running backwards so we decided we would switch over to Spanish Macs to see if they were here yet. This seems a bit early for Spanish but the water temp (75) is warm enough for them to be here and our friends Ron and Joe came by to check on us and thought they had seen them on the surface.

We dropped them the spoons in just where we were at and trolled to the GW river entrance. Started catching some and basically went between the entrance and GW 1 back and forth. We ended up with 3 keepers and that was the second first-time species for Basil.

Blue: Well we didn’t have a picture because Scott throws all Blues back unless you tell him before but as normal we picked up a blue during the troll and Basil hat trip was complete.

First Skunk of the season

Well I guess it had to happen, but today we were skunked. Not 100% surprising, Scott was finishing the move of “stuff” out of his house for the final inspection before the final sale, I had a fund raiser for WyldLife in the morning so we didn’t get out before 14:00. The water and wind were moving the opposite directions so we were fishing backwards. For those few that don’t know what I mean it is where the natural line of the boat points south and the lines run south as well. A good day is when the boat points one way the lines run out behind the boat. I don’t know if I have never caught a fish fishing backwards but it certainly is not many.

I did get the Whays Creek West sign put up in the morning.

The difference in a day

June 19,2020

Well with ultra high hopes Ron, Todd, and I set out for the cobia run. Joe and Jack joined in Joe’s boat and we went almost to the exact same spot as yesterday. They were not there in any great numbers today. We setup everything as normal but we were there about an hour before Joe caught a 38″. Maybe about 30 min after that Joe and Jack brought in a 49″ and to make matters worse we had a good one on maybe mid 40s but he got off at the boat. Broke the leader, it is a very difficult fish to net but unless it is clearly over 40 I never want to gaff. Once gaffed I would be surprised if they survive. Absolutely no reason to kill a fish you can eat. One main difference today is I am sure we did not have any hits that were not on a live spot. We had eels, spot, and cut bunker but the spot got every hit.

Todd came with us today and had never caught a cobia but we stayed long enough to get through the tide change and he finally got a chance and landed and nice 41er. It was not the fighter I was hoping Todd would get but all cobia have a certain amount of fight that is always fun.

I am planning on heading back out with Mitch, Scott, and Basil after I attend the Wyldlife yard sale fundraiser on Saturday afternoon.

I know my entries have been a little weak on details but after I got home from a long day of fishing I still needed to mix and bake 4 more pans of cinnamon buns, cut the yard, set the spot trap, check the crab pots, fix the sign for Whays Creek Road (maybe another seperate article).

Records dropping like flies

Update on tagged fish. Hear is the report I got back. “Remark:┬áThis fish was in with a pack of hundreds. Most were about the same size.”

Really had not intended to fish today but I got a call from Ron and Jack that they were killing the cobia. They were coming back for lunch and asked did I want to go out for a second run. Yep…I’m on my way.

Got to Ron’s house set out for the fishing grounds and yep almost immediately we got right back into them. There was a lull for about an hour waiting for the tide to turn but we got them jumping into the boat.

27, yep you heard that right, 27 cobia in a single day. I don’t believe it and I was there so I have no problem with you say LIE.

Caught one with a tag. That was my first tagged fish. I registered him and will add the report here once it is emailed to me.

Oh my what a day!!

June 14, 2020. Went cobia fishing and caught my biggest fish ever in the bay.

Started out right by going to church for the first time since the covid crisis started. Got home just after noon and texted Scott to go. The only bait we had was a left over chum bag from Butlers Tackle, a few left over bunker, an old jug of menhayden oil, and the blood vein from our tuna trip. Not super convinced that we were going out at the right time as we missed the tide, but it was better than cutting the grass that I should have been doing.

We are lucky that some of the best cobia strikes seem to be happening here as opposed to going down to Windmill. We were only on plane for about 10 min. or so. My goal always is to set up on a drop off point, maybe 5+ feet or more if possible and not so worried about a specific spot. The water was big in the morning but with the tide following the wind it was only about 1 – 2 going out and most of the time we spent it remained about 2. The last hour after the tide changed we were definitely in some heavier seas. Setup anchor and was fishing.

Set out 3 rods with bunker and 1 with the blood line tuna pieces, just knitted them on and actually they stayed pretty well. Really nothing but conversation for the first hour or so. Then a good strike on the blood line. The fight was on and almost immediately the fish came to the surface so we knew it was a cobia. Pulled in about a 44″ guy and was just estatic.

Reset everything and just as the tide turned a big strike came on a bunker. I grabed the rod and immediately thought it was a ray. It just pulled too much to be a cobia but then this guy came flying out of the water and wow could you tell it was a big’un. He danced on the water 4 distinct times. My 30 Penn and thankfully on my custom rod that has all rollers was the one he chose. For the next 30 min we didn’t see him but we kept exchanging the 100 ft of line about 10 times before he finally gave up enough to get him in the boat. I was exhausted and so was the fish. 47+ pound fish.

44 inch on the bottom 55 inch on top
  • Temp 75 deg
  • Wind 15 NE
  • Water 75

The only advice I have gotten that I am sure is critical to catching these bigger fish is to have your gear in perfect condition. When I tie any knot I am very precise in how it is done, I cut off a potion of the line every month or so so the last 20 ft or so is fresh, use leader instead of just line, etc. I have lost too many big fish to poor gear. I went with some friends last year in striper season to hook a killer fish and the line broke. If you want to catch the “big” one be prepared to catch the big one all of the time.

Scott with the 55